BEACON – The recently formed Center for Bringing About Peace group in Beacon handed out its first Peace Awards on Monday at the Howland Cultural Center.
This is the city’s 100th anniversary and Center founder Lev Levin said it was fitting to present the new awards at the centennial of the city’s formation.
“In 1913 when Beacon became a city it was split into two”, Levin said. “One was Matteawan on the mountain and the other was Fishkill Landing, which was on the river and there were always battles between the two, so I guess it is a metaphor for the 100th year of two villages becoming one.”
Receiving the 2013 Beacon Peace Award were:
- The Community Action Partnership
- Glynwood Farm
- Re>Think Local,
- Beacon Yoga Center
- The Beacon Sloop Club Circle of Song
- Habitat for Humanity of Newburgh
- Vassar Haiti Project
- The Humor Project
- The Dutchess County Division of Veterans Affairs
- The Connie Hogarth Center for Social Justice